11 Adelaide St W 1921 vs 2020
Built in the Second Empire style, the Grand Theatre opening Gala was September 21, 1874. It was also the first to feature fold up seating and gas lighting operated by a single switch. A very popular venue with a less favorable financial situation. It was sold in 1876 to Alexander Manning. Three years later a fire caused major interior damage. The theatre was rebuilt and reopened on February 8, 1880.
1919 saw a major criminal investigation centred around Ambrose Small, the theatre’s manager. He disappeared after depositing a sizeable cheque at a nearby bank. He was never recovered and the case is unresolved.
The Vaudeville age changed the face of theatre and as such the Grand Theatre fell into disrepair. Competition from the Royal Alexandra and Princess Theatres on King sealed its fate. By 1927 the theatre was demolished.
City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1231, Item 0843
Umbrella Edition - Signed and numbered series of 25.
Customization available. Please inquire via email.