Southeast corner of King & Queen Streets and Roncesvalles Ave Sept 17, 1914 Vs 2019
Officially opened in 1884 as the Park Hotel by proprietor Thomas E Scholes. The hotel name changed to the Sunnyside Hotel before ownership changed hands to J.J. Kane. At that time the hotel was renamed the Ocean House Hotel.
The hotel was later purchased by John E Laxton when J.J. Kane passed away in 1907. Ownership remained with Laxton until 1912 when the president of United Cigar Stores, W. R. Reid, bought the hotel.
The hotel became a very popular destination once the Sunnyside Amusement Park opened in 1922. At that time Lakeshore Boulevard joined the intersection of King, Queen and Roncesvalles.
With the need for newer roadways to accomodate increased traffic changes were coming. Many casualties suffered as a result of the Gardiner Expressway construction. As a result the hotel closed its doors in 1955.
City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1231, Item 1113
Umbrella Edition - Signed and numbered series of 25.
Customization available. Please inquire via email.