Looking west on Front Street 1980 vs 2017
The first buildings built on the property date back to the early 19th century. The scenery changed as landfill pushed the shoreline south.
In 1838, the lands were occupied by the Ontario Terrace. Constructed by Captain Dick, it consisted of four brick townhouses. Later in 1844 the buildings housed classrooms and administrative offices under Knox College. Then from 1856 to 1859 the buildings were modified to create a single building and named Sword’s Hotel. The property was then repurchased by Captain Dick and renamed the Queen’s Hotel.
Canadian Pacific Hotels purchased the property in 1927. The Queen’s Hotel was demolished and replaced by The Royal York. Once completed in 1929 the hotel stood as the tallest building in Toronto for less than a year. An addition of the east wing was completed in 1958 that included over 500 additional rooms.
In 1959 CP Hotels and Fairmont Hotels joined, since then the hotel is known as The Fairmont Royal York Hotel.
City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 200, Series 1465, File 59, Item 221
Umbrella Edition - Signed and numbered series of 25.
Customization available. Please inquire via email.